Friday, August 21, 2009

Quiver Trees - Aloe dichotoma





Quiver Tree and weathered dolerite rock dykes, the white marking on the rock is caused by the excrement of rock rabbits


OneStonedCrow Pics
Sociable Weaver Nest ... the nest is decades old

Aloe dichotoma, also known as Quiver tree or Kokerboom, is a species of aloe indigenous to Namibia and the Northern Cape region of South Africa. Known as 'Choje' to the indigenous San people, the Quiver tree gets its name from the San practice of hollowing out the tubular branches of Aloe dichotoma to form quivers for their arrows.

According to Wikipedia, 'Aloe dichotoma is cultivated in the southwestern United States for use in landscaping. The slow growth rate and relative rarity of the plant make it a particularly expensive specimen.'

You can see more of my Quiver Tree pics here

.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog from a comment on the naked in eden blog.

    I like your pictures and you have some very funny ones.

    Would you allow me to link to some of the funny ones from my blog? Of course I would credit you as the source.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your visit ...

    I would be honored if you link to some of my posts

    ReplyDelete