Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Zen Of Long-Distance Cycling




OneStonedCrow Pics
At times, when driving in Namibia, I encounter these travelers in the middle of nowhere, most of them having cycled all the way through Africa or intending to do so.

To me there's something deeply appealing in what they're doing. Perhaps it's the concept of being totally self-reliant, unhurried and able to rest your head wherever you find yourself. I imagine that it must be a kind of meditation, legs pumping away automatically, the mind in a heightened state of awareness ...

It's not all fun and games though - a few I've spoken to have told me scary stories of encounters with robbers, thugs and suspicious, abusive government officials in some countries.

I salute these intrepid adventurers.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment